Written By ESR Information Weblog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Lawyer Lester Rosen, the founder and Chief Government Officer (CEO) of main world background test supplier Employment Screening Assets® (ESR), will current a dwell webinar titled “Background Test-Associated Authorized Dangers: Easy methods to Adjust to Ban-the-Field and Different New Developments” produced by Enterprise & Authorized Assets (BLR) on Tuesday, December 10, 2019, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PT.
In August of 2019, the U.S. Courtroom of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit upheld an injunction that barred the U.S. Equal Employment Alternative Fee (EEOC) – which enforces legal guidelines prohibiting employment discrimination – from implementing the EEOC’s “Enforcement Steering on the Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Information in Employment Selections Underneath Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964” in Texas.
Whereas a federal court docket is upholding an employer’s proper to make use of felony background checks in Texas, different states proceed to enact “ban-the-box” and wage historical past ban legal guidelines. Rosen – creator of ‘The Protected Hiring Handbook’ – will clarify the sensible impression the Fifth Circuit’s determination could have on employers and the important thing points to maintain a detailed watch on on the state degree. Attendees of the webinar will be capable of:
- Legally ask questions on felony convictions usually – and know what’s at all times off limits.
- Adjust to EEOC guidelines regarding worker background checks.
- Legally conduct background screenings with out violating the Truthful Credit score Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Audit your job ads, employment purposes and different associated types to establish dangers and proper them earlier than they trigger you authorized complications.
- Deal with difficult questions round wage – and decide which states presently ban wage historical past inquiries and which of them are contemplating related laws proper now.
- Making certain compliance when your organization operates throughout a number of states or cities, which can have various necessities regarding felony historical past, ban-the-box, and wage historical past inquiries.
- Reply when somebody asks in the event that they weren’t employed due to a felony file.
- Set up background test insurance policies that hyperlink the decision-making to job descriptions.
- Keep away from “purple flag” points that might end in disparate remedy and disparate impression
The webinar is accredited for 1.5 recertification credit score hours towards normal recertification by means of the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). Enterprise & Authorized Assets (BLR) is acknowledged by the Society for Human Useful resource Administration (SHRM) to supply Skilled Growth Credit (PDCs) and the webinar is legitimate for 1.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. To register for the webinar, click on right here.
Rosen based Employment Screening Assets® (ESR) in Northern California in 1997 and has spoken at conferences nationwide. He was the chairperson of the steering committee that based the Skilled Background Screening Affiliation (PBSA) and served as the primary co-chair. ESR is a founding member of – and accredited by – the PBSA. To study extra about ESR, go to www.esrcheck.com.
Employment Screening Assets® (ESR) – a number one world background test supplier – provides blogs about new developments in ban-the-box and wage historical past laws, and in addition offers a Ban the Field Useful resource Web page that incorporates complimentary white papers, infographics, and an interactive map up to date with the newest legal guidelines at www.esrcheck.com/Legislative-Compliance/Ban-the-Field/.
Screening Assets® (ESR) doesn’t present or provide authorized providers or authorized
recommendation of any type or nature. Any info on this web site is for
academic functions solely.
© 2019 Employment
Screening Assets® (ESR) – Making copies or utilizing of any a part of the ESR Information
Weblog or ESR web site for any objective apart from your individual private use is
prohibited until written authorization is first obtained from ESR.