Belgium’s overseas minister Sophie Wilmes mentioned in the present day she has examined constructive for Covid-19.
She mentioned on Twitter:
My Covid check result’s constructive. Contamination most likely occurred inside my household circle given the precautions taken outdoors my house.
Wilmes yesterday mentioned she was going into self-isolation with suspected Covid-19 signs. On 12 October she attended face-to-face talks with different EU overseas ministers in Luxembourg.
Up to date
at 2.49pm BST
An extra 86 individuals who examined constructive for coronavirus have died in hospital in England, bringing the entire variety of confirmed deaths reported in hospitals to 30,910, NHS England mentioned in the present day.
Sufferers had been aged between 44 and 99. All however two sufferers, aged 62 and 79, had identified underlying well being situations.
The deaths had been between 16 September and 16 October. Three different deaths had been reported with no constructive Covid-19 check consequence.
Up to date
at 2.43pm BST
In England, the standoff over whether or not harder restrictions must be launched in Larger Manchester seems no nearer to decision.
Downing Road indicated a name had been organized for tomorrow morning to resolve the row over the area coming into the best degree of coronavirus restrictions.
Nevertheless, a spokesman for the Larger Manchester mayor, Andy Burnham, has denied that talks have been scheduled, saying: “Nothing has but been organized.”
Native leaders say that if Larger Manchester is to enter tier 3 (the “very excessive” degree of alert) the federal government should be keen to cough up more money than it has so far supplied.
Up to date
at 2.34pm BST
There have been an additional 674 instances of Covid-19 recognized in Wales, bringing the entire variety of confirmed instances within the nation to 34,679.
Public Well being Wales mentioned 5 additional deaths had been reported, with the entire variety of deaths because the starting of the pandemic rising to 1,708.
The previous prime minister Gordon Brown has warned the UK is heading for a double cliff fringe of Brexit and an financial collapse brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Brown, who’s the longest serving chancellor of the exchequer in trendy occasions, mentioned the approaching double whammy would price jobs.
He mentioned the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, must introduce additional measures to restrict the affect of rising unemployment, as his alternative for the expensive furlough scheme was “very restricted”.
Addressing a Welsh Labour celebration occasion, Brown mentioned:
I believe we’ve obtained two cliff edges coming, whether it is attainable to go over two cliff edges without delay.
We’ve obtained 31 October and the tip of the furlough scheme, after which we’ve obtained the tip of the negotiations over Brexit.
You’ve obtained two important factors the place at every of them, jobs are in danger.
Brown went on:
There’s not sufficient cash accessible for furlough. His [Sunak’s] new proposals appear very restricted.
I imagine the chancellor should come again to the Home of Commons fairly quickly to replace, revise and alter his plans as a result of it’s merely not ample for the circumstances of in the present day.
We praised him in March for doing the furlough and I’m afraid now he has proved he’s not doing sufficient to assist us by this disaster, and unemployment will certainly rise very quick if he doesn’t take additional motion.
Up to date
at 1.51pm BST
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s newest Ebola epidemic is now below management, a number one scientist has mentioned because the nation continues to grapple with the Covid-19 pandemic.
Fifty-three folks have died since June in what has been the eleventh outbreak of Ebola within the central African nation since 1976.
On Saturday, Prof Jean-Jacques Muyembe, the person tasked with main the nation’s Ebola response, tweeted: “We’re on the sixteenth day with out new instances.”
The state of affairs within the affected north-west province of Equateur is now “below management”, he added.
He mentioned the remedy centres now not had any Ebola sufferers and simply one among 13 affected zones stays below surveillance.
His feedback had been echoed by the World Well being Group.
The newest epidemic was declared initially of June within the distant north-east of the nation.
Since then, 128 instances of the haemorrhagic fever have been recorded (119 confirmed and 9 possible) with 53 deaths, in keeping with the DRC authorities.
The earlier epidemic, which broke out within the east in August 2018, was the deadliest within the nation with 2,277 deaths.
The DRC has recorded 11,000 Covid instances, together with 302 deaths, in keeping with the most recent authorities figures.
Up to date
at 1.42pm BST
Austria declares report infections
Austria has joined the Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine and Malaysia in reporting a report day by day variety of coronavirus infections. It mentioned in the present day there have been 1,747 coronavirus infections prior to now 24 hours.
The day by day depend has this month repeatedly exceeded the height of 1,050 reached in March throughout the first wave of infections.
Up to date
at 1.49pm BST
Mayor of Liverpool’s brother dies
The mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has mentioned his brother has died after being admitted to intensive care with Covid-19.
On Friday night, Anderson urged folks to observe the principles to stop the unfold of the virus as he revealed his eldest brother was in a “very severe situation” in hospital within the metropolis.
Up to date
at 12.50pm BST
Listed below are the most recent developments:
- An adviser to the UK authorities has mentioned a brief nationwide circuit-breaker – a close to complete shutdown – could also be obligatory as he described different measures as “biting across the edges”. Sir John Bell, regius professor of drugs on the College of Oxford, informed BBC Radio 4’s At the moment programme numbers in components of the nation had been “fairly eye-watering”. The Conservative former well being secretary, Jeremy Hunt, additionally indicated help for a nationwide circuit-breaker lockdown.
- Iran has introduced that its demise toll from the coronavirus has handed the milestone of 30,000 deaths. The well being ministry spokeswoman, Sima Sadat Lari, mentioned Iran’s complete demise toll from the outbreak was 30,123 killed, with a complete of 526,490 confirmed instances because it introduced its first infections in February.
- The Czech Republic, Ukraine, Poland and Malaysia all recorded their highest variety of day by day coronavirus instances because the pandemic started.
- Thailand has recorded its first two domestically transmitted instances of Covid-19 in additional than a month. The nation’s Covid-19 administration centre mentioned in its day by day report that the instances had been amongst two Myanmar nationals residing close to the border with Myanmar, the place infections have been surging just lately. The 2 had been examined on 13 October, they confirmed no signs however outcomes had been constructive, the centre mentioned within the assertion.The final identified native case was in early September.
- The UK authorities and native leaders in Larger Manchester stay at odds over whether or not the harshest degree of restrictions – tier 3 – must be launched within the space. The native leaders say the federal government is attempting to impose it with out ample monetary help.